Looking for a great night out on the town with your significant other? We’ve put together a list of our favorite places (in no particular order) for Date Night that we think should be on the top of your list!
- Mountain Jacks- The best place for a calm, relaxing, leisurely meal! They have several separate rooms, and several rooms even have fireplaces, making for a lovely cozy atmosphere. They have a great drink menu, always with several specials. I love trying their special mojitos or martinis. It is a steak house so of course the steaks are great and usually what we order, but they do have pork, chicken and seafood options as well. I love the top sirloin and usually add sauteed mushrooms on top. MMM! Their Au Gratin Potatoes and green beans are awesome as well. Be sure not to overeat (something hard to do!) because you don’t want to miss the desserts! A dessert tray with samples is brought around, to tempt you with all the delectable desserts. I love their Chocolate Mousse Pie with several layers of different kinds of chocolate and whipped cream or Turtle Cheesecake!
- McGraw’s- If you love a view, be sure to check out McGraw’s. Located right along the Wabash River (with lots of windows), in a historic building that has a close to 200-year-old history! The building was previously a restaurant called Stiney’s that was known for its down- home family dining experience and their catfish dinner which you can still find on the menu. We love McGraw’s for their steaks (especially paired with their burgundy mushrooms!) and seafood but are always happy to find some classics on the menu. We love trying different drinks too, although the Pineapple Martini is one of my favorites, a house specialty.
- East End Grill- Located downtown, (with their own parking lot!), this restaurant has a very industrial, modern feel. We love the modern twist on their food as well! Their menu typically changes a bit with the seasons but always has some unique items on the menu. My all-time favorite is the crab cake though. I would have this every day! It’s a generous size and you can actually see and taste crab in it! I love it on the East End House Salad. We are not grits fans but friends always rave about the shrimp and grits! It sounds strange, but I would also suggest getting the house cut truffle fries either as an appetizer or a side. Don’t skip out on the roasted garlic aioli to dip them too! I love them and I’m not a huge fry lover! You just have to try them.
- The Bryant Food and Drink Company is especially one of our favorite date night locations in warmer weather months for their awesome patio with a fireplace! Inside is great as well with a modern, more industrial type feeling. We love starting with a warm pretzel as a starter; the pretzel is as big as your head and just makes for a fun appetizer to share. One of our favorite entrées is the Spaghetti and Meatballs. You might say we are a bit boring… and maybe we are, but you have got to try the meatballs! They are brisket and short rib meatballs! Yum! We love ordering one of their fun milkshakes to share when we visit too! The shakes are always so pretty but sure make dinner more fun! So be sure to save room!
- Eddie Joe’s Icehouse- If you don’t mind a short drive, be sure to add Eddie Joe’s to your date night wish list. We love this lively, rustic restaurant in West Point! Especially the BBQ items! We enjoy the pulled pork and don’t forget the Sweet Potato Muffins! We had never had a sweet potato muffin before but now it’s our favorite. The enchiladas are always a hit too! This restaurant isn’t the fanciest but wow, the food is good!
- Bistro 501- A French-American inspired restaurant in downtown Lafayette, with wonderful windows to people watch from inside or a nice patio to enjoy in warm weather months. There is also a cozy fireplace to enjoy inside when it is chilly. Don’t miss the French Onion Burger. A short rib beef patty with French onion marmalade, gruyere cheese on a pretzel bun served with truffle pommes frites! And don’t miss their out of this world cocktails! If you are wanting a day date, don’t miss their amazing Sunday Brunch or the Bistro Market and Deli!
Baked Cambozola & Fig at Bistro 501
- LaScala Italian Restaurant is one of our all-time favorite date night restaurants! Although the menu and the hours are a bit more limited since Covid, we still love this farm to table restaurant! Everything is always so fresh! We love sitting on the patio in the warm months as well that overlooks the Tippecanoe County Courthouse. They have some unique cocktails that use Limoncello that are quite yummy and a Tiramisu Martini that is fun! For entrees, I always like seeing what the special of the day is or getting a Risotto dish, but my hubby loves the Lobster and Shrimp Mac and Cheese! It has lobster, shrimp, sundried tomatoes, Grand Marnier cream sauce, and cavatappi pasta! For sure, leave room for dessert! Of course, they have Tiramisu which is always great, but if you are a chocolate lover, you will not want to miss out on a Chocolate Tarte! It is a very dense chocolate cake like dessert that is Gluten and Dairy free, but it is so amazing! You just have to try it!
- Red Seven- a sophisticated party like atmosphere in Downtown Lafayette, located just across from Riehle Plaza and the walkway to the Pedestrian Bridge making a quick walk across the river a nice before or after dinner activity. (Or sit on their patio and just watch others walk by.) We love the Southwest Veggie Egg Rolls, Almond and Parmesan Crusted Chicken, Filet Mignon Sliders or if visiting for lunch be sure to try the Pecan Chicken Roll Ups or a salad! They also have a great cocktail list with many creative, delicious concoctions.
- 8Eleven Modern Bistro- This restaurant quickly has become a new favorite! The elegant, young, modern restaurant inside the historic Union building right on Purdue’s Campus has really taken the culinary scene to a new level in the community. There are many unique and amazing dishes, but we would highly recommend the Crab Croquettes, Bistro Steak Frites, and the Diver Scallops! Be ready to savor every last bite! It is sure to be a flavorful delight! Want a group date night? Consider reserving the Chef’s Table that seats 8 people with a pre-fixed tasting menu curated by their chef!
Dining at 8Eleven
- Folie- a hidden gem in Downtown Lafayette. This restaurant creates innovative, seasonal New American dishes. They always say one eats with one's eyes first, right? The entrees are so beautifully prepared and presented your eyes will be seeing stars! And your taste buds will then do a happy dance as you take each bite. We have a ‘secret’ menu tip as well! Their Truffle Fries appetizer is not typically featured on the menu but it is always available! Hand-cut fries, truffle salt, foie gras aioli & parmigiano reggiano. YUM! Also, Folie offers an exceptional wine list, creative cocktails & craft beer, so don't miss adding in a special drink to add with your meal!
- The Whittaker Kitchen- located in West Lafayette at the Whittaker Inn, be sure to make a reservation as there is limited seating, but your tastebuds will not be disappointed! Looking for a perfectly cooked steak? Their filet mignon is amazing! Make sure as well you order their crab cakes. My co-worker's family was here from Maryland and they are crab cake connoisseurs, and they loved them. For a private dining experience, consider reserving the private dining room that can seat up to 4. Their menu changes seasonally but Chef Andrew, also one of the owners, will not disappoint. We love the cookie option that seems to be a regular on the dessert menu. Want to be pampered longer or experience more meals with the Whittaker Kitchen? Extend your stay and spend the night! You can even travel the world while you stay! Each of the 15 rooms are decorated in a theme from a different country. Leave feeling refreshed, relaxed and for sure well fed!
- Fowler House Mansion- romance and history intertwine at this venue/restaurant, located Downtown Lafayette. Erica Wilson from Lafayette shares, "In 2022 Fowler House Mansion launched dinner service. Their food is phenomenal and it's such a unique dining experience in a historical treasure." Our team at VLWL visited this restaurant on the opening night and 100% agree with this statement. The Langoustine Cakes (aka Norway Lobster) Panko-Crusted Cakes are amazing! One of the best appetizers we have ever enjoyed. Light, romantic music played as we felt very pampered with wonderful service in such a lovely venue. The service and atmosphere are perfect for a night out with your sweetheart.
Tell us what your favorite date night places are! Visit our social channels, #homeofpurdue, and share experiences, photos, and more!