Food happiness on wheels! Greater Lafayette Food Trucks are bringing culinary joy to all! The Lafayette – West Lafayette area is home to over 25 food trucks and it seems like more pop up every week. Ashley Gregory has had the opportunity to taste many of the local food truck specialties and shares this blog about her family's experience. Enjoy!
- EMT Food Truck is a vegetarian truck! They also have vegan and some gluten free options available. The whole family loves the Triple M Sandwich which is a Mac and Cheese stuffed grilled cheese with munster cheese, sharp cheddar spread grilled between their signature waffles and served with a side of the secret munchie sauce.(OMG! You have to have the munchie sauce!) We usually try to catch up with EMT at the West Lafayette Farmers Market on Wednesday afternoons/ evenings and we also really love the market salad! It’s always made with fresh seasonal ingredients, many times things you can find right at the market. Many times, there are things I would never think of putting on a salad (like asparagus, butternut squash, pears, etc.) but really love once I try them! The flavors always meld so well together! The salad dressing is always delicious as well.
EMT Food Truck
- We were first introduced to Mitchell’s, when my husband worked in Delphi for a while. He would always rave about the food. I was so excited when I saw the food truck for the first time a bit closer to home and boy, was he right! Our absolute favorite is the Chicken Bacon RanchWich Mitchi-Wrap. It is a tortilla stuffed with marinated grilled chicken, bacon crumbles, creamy ranch, cheddar jack, crushed tortilla chips, wrapped up and grilled. Sounds so simple, but you have to try it. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it. Hmm… where is the truck today? The kids love that they have kid’s meals and smaller versions of the adult stuff just for them! I don’t know what they do differently either, but their brownies are to die for! Maybe it’s just because they are warm usually from the truck. We are so excited for them to open their new brick and mortar restaurant in Lafayette in front of Menards on Creasy Lane!
- El Mata Antojos serves authentic Mexican Food. I love that they offer a salad option, and that shrimp is a meat option! You don’t see either of those at a food truck in our community very often! Their Shrimp Mexi Salad is my go-to every time. It has lettuce, beans, cheese, onion, cilantro, tomato, sour cream, jalapenos, and guacamole and then you can add your choice of meat. Shrimp tacos are my kid’s favorites, American style of course.
- Tastes of Chicago is a truck that offers a variety of foods; beef hot dogs, polish sausage, Italian beef, Philly cheese steaks, catfish, wings, gyros, pork chops, pizza puffs, onion rings, fried mushrooms, fried pickles and more! We had the Philly cheese steak (Wow! The cheese! It was so good!) and plain beef hot dogs with fried mushrooms. We can’t wait to try some other items!
- Eddie Joe’s Icehouse has amazing pulled pork! I love it on their Pulled Pork Nachos best! It seems crazy but my absolute favorite from this truck are their sweet potato muffins! I had never had anything like them before. They are sweet, nutty, and more amazing with the sweet cinnamon butter that instantly melts on the warm muffin! MMMM! It's the perfect side to the slightly spicy BBQ. If you love the truck, be sure to visit Eddie Joe’s restaurant in West Point.
- Craving tacos? Chase the Guac Box Truck! They have a variety of tacos all with people’s names. You pick the name of the style you want, choose what kind of tortilla, and what meat and then eat the scrumptious creations. My favorite is the Nick which has street corn, cotija cheese and their guac sauce.
- Puritan Coney Island Express is simple but really good! If you are wanting a hot dog, we recommend this truck! They also have BBQ Sandwiches and nachos. Nothing fancy but great food! Very kid friendly. Having simpler items makes this food truck one of the fastest too which is great when you have hungry kids!
- LKora Fast Food Truck is another great option for Mexican food. They have delightful tacos, burritos, quesadillas, tortas and tostadas with your choice of meat. I love their tostadas, something you don’t typically see on a food truck in our area. You can typically catch this food truck at the West Lafayette Farmers Market too. If you are craving Mexican food, you won’t be disappointed!
- The Little Miss Cupcake Truck is always filled with amazing, sweet treats! Of course, they have cupcakes, but also serve cookies (we love the oatmeal cookie sandwiches!) and Aloha Delights (a mixture of shaved ice and ice cream). They always have a wonderful selection of cupcake flavors that change all the time. They can get pretty creative with the flavors! For example, a Peach Pie Cupcake! Have you ever had one of those? I bet not! My favorite is the Peanut Butter Cookie Monster though! MMM! Gotta love peanut butter!
- Brown’s Sugared Donuts is another sweet truck we love! There are only two options, cinnamon sugar, or powdered sugar donuts, so uncomplicated but so delicious! We love getting the bucket of the mini donuts and sharing with the family! I’m not sure if I can pick a favorite. The cinnamon sugar is like eating an elephant ear… one of my favorite things, but the powdered sugar is great too! You will just have to try them to see. Either way, be sure to get lots of napkins! They can be messy! That makes them even better though I think!
- Bonus: Now I couldn’t end the list of favorites without including the Kona Ice Truck. My kids LOVE when it comes through our neighborhood! They know immediately by the music it plays that it is coming, and we have to stop what we are doing and go wave it down. If we see it out somewhere they are sure to spot it! They love that they get to choose their flavors and put it on themselves. They do come up with some concoctions, but they always eat it. It is such a nice refreshing treat on a hot summer day…and we are sure to eat it outside! Have you ever tried to get that syrup out of carpet?!?! Not fun!
- Double Bonus: Gypsy Joe Coffee Shop. I am not a coffee drinker so my co-worker Sara shared her love for this coffee truck. Sara shares, "We love Gypsy Joe's! Need a quick pick me up in the morning, this is the place to follow on social and find her truck! Our family worked with Gypsy Joe herself to provide coffee for our daughter's elementary school. She was wonderful! The teachers absolutely loved the coffee. And for non-coffee drinkers, Gypsy Joe's offers lemonade, tea, hot chocolate and treats. Be sure to follow her truck on social as well as she creates homemade cocoa bombs. YUM!"
This is a sampling of all the delicious food trucks in the area. Click here for a complete list and share with us your favorite trucks on social! Tag #homeofpurdue!