Fort Ouiatenon (wee-ah-teh-non), named for the Wea tribes in the area, was established by the French in 1717 as a fur trading post. It was one of the earliest settlements in what was to become the State of Indiana. Archaeology and research show that the area was home to approximately 2,000 to 3,000 inhabitants during its most profitable times. The replica blockhouse, built in 1930, is open weekends mid May—August from 1 to 5 p.m. Picnic facilities are also available. The park also hosts the annual Feast of the Hunters’ Moon festival each fall. Programs and tours may be arranged through the Tippecanoe County Historical Association.