Lafayette – West Lafayette Destination Vision
We aspire to a destination vision dependent on collective partnership and mutual benefits. Showcasing a vibrant university community and the Wabash River heritage corridor, Lafayette-West Lafayette has become a primary regional and year-round center of unique visitor experiences in cultural heritage celebrations.
Visit Lafayette – West Lafayette Vision
We aspire to an organization vision dependent on astute leadership and professional management. Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette is recognized as the destination leader of the west central Indiana visitor industry through accountable communications, collaborative partnerships and development support focused on recreational activities, historical sites and cultural events, and educational learning.
Visit Lafayette – West Lafayette Philosophy and Customer Commitment
We perform effectively by adhering to values and guiding principles, and delivering on customer promises.
\We commit to a mutual business exchange that allows for incremental market opportunities and returns to all visitor industry proponents.
We commit to providing accurate and timely travel information through the promotion of unique experiences to residents and visitors.
Our Purpose and Future Direction
Lafayette – West Lafayette Mission, Strategic Goals and Priority Programs
We accomplish a focused mission through goals, strategies and programs that meet the majority of the filter tests.
Visit Lafayette - West Lafayette is the official destination marketing organization of Tippecanoe County that contributes to the economic health of its communities by promoting as a preferred travel destination and by enhancing the visitor experience.
- Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette started as a committee of the Chamber of Commerce (CofC) in the mid 1970s.
- From 1978 to 1983 the LWLCVB was operated as a division of the CofC.
- In 1983, the LWLCVB was incorporated as an independent, not-for-profit, 501 (c) 6 organization. The Tippecanoe County Convention & Visitors Commission contracts the LWLCVB
- In 1990 the Visitors Center was opened.
- Funding comes from a Tippecanoe County Tourism Occupancy Tax (TOT), also called the innkeepers tax. Additional explanation of the TOT can be found under the finance and administration section.
The purpose of Visit Lafayette – West Lafayette is to promote the development and growth of the convention and visitors industry in Tippecanoe County by increasing the number of people from outside Tippecanoe County who come here for conventions, conferences and meetings, programs and events. In Tippecanoe County there are: 30+ lodging facilities; over 225+ restaurants; and Purdue University; the main attractions are: Tippecanoe Battlefield; Wolf Park; Fort Ouiatenon where the biggest area festival, the Feast of the Hunters’ Moon, is held; the Tippecanoe County Historical Museum; the Museum of Art; a beautiful downtown, with a restored 1882 Courthouse, the Depot Plaza and Pedestrian/Bicycle Bridge (over the Wabash River) where many festivals and events are held; The Farm at Prophetstown and the developing Prophetstown State Park.
Visitor Marketing and Sales
- To raise the awareness and sales potential of the Lafayette-West Lafayette visitor attractions and facilities through proactive leisure and business travel programming to priority target markets.
- To cultivate effective visitor relationships through provision of information and related sales assistance.
Visitor Product Development
- To encourage and support new, expanded and/or improved attraction, event and hospitality services that enhance an extended visitor stay experience.
- To educate community leaders to the importance and value of the visitor industry and the Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette.
Visitor Research and Planning
- To prepare and implement an ongoing research-based strategic destination plan and annual Visit Lafayette-West Lafayette business plan.
Finance and Administration
- To operate as a fiscally responsible organization through identifiable resource priorities and partnership growth initiatives.